Good news: We’re now well past the halfway point in 2020. So, if you’ve managed to keep your resolution this year despite a pandemic, a recession and closed gyms everywhere, hats off to you.
Meanwhile, C-suite executives are making a different kind of resolution. They’ve resolved to level up in their careers with new promotions and job offers. We’ve kept tabs on the freshest changes. Here are some of the newsworthy moves for Q3:
Netflix: Two heads are better than one
Content is king, especially at Netflix. The streaming juggernaut recently promoted longtime chief content officer Ted Sarandos to co-CEO. He will share the role with co-founder and existing CEO Reed Hastings.
Sarandos comes from a video store background and has spent two decades as chief content officer, a role he is expected to retain. His promotion is seen as an acknowledgment that Netflix is more than a tech disruptor; it’s the future of media.
The coronavirus pandemic provided a tailwind for Netflix as many subscribers stayed at home. The company reportedly added 10 million new subscribers in Q2. At the same time theatres were shuttering and studios were postponing blockbuster releases, Netflix had already assembled a winning hand: Most of its 2020 content and much of its 2021 content were already produced.
Tapestry CEO steps down amid controversy
The parent company of fashion brands Coach and Kate Spade has found itself embroiled in a #MeToo scandal. Tapestry CEO Jide Zeitlin resigned on July 21 after the company opened a probe into an allegation of improper behavior more than a decade ago. Zeiltin published his side of the story on LinkedIn.
The company named Joanne Crevoiserat as interim CEO. Crevoiserat joined the company in 2019 and has prior experience at Abercrombie & Fitch and Kohl’s. She will take the reins of a company vying to keep its fiscal house in order. Tapestry announced a round of layoffs in April.
Dollar Tree promotes new CEO
Now, Dollar Tree is looking to bolster its momentum with continuity at the top. It recently announced that enterprise president Michael Witynski has replaced retiring CEO Gary Philbin. Philbin is expected to serve at the company into September.
Witynski has held several roles at Dollar Tree since 2010. He also has more than a decade of experience in supermarkets with prior stints at Shaw’s and SuperValu.
More executives on the move...
- Wade Allen is now SVP and Head, Innovation, Brinker International Inc.
- Joseph Atkinson is now Vice Chairman, Chief Products and Technology Officer, PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP.
- Murray Auchincloss is now CFO, BP Global.
- Geoffrey Bouquot is now VP, Corporate Strategy & External Relations and SVP, Research & Development and Product Marketing, Valeo Group.
- Karen Brennan is now CFO, Jones Lang LaSalle Inc.
- Catherine Burke is now COO, AllianceBernstein L.P.
- Troy Clarke is now Executive Chairman, Navistar International Corporation.
- Cheryl Dalrymple is now Chief People Officer and Head, Corporate Development, Confluent, Inc.
- Chandra Dhandapani is now Chief Administrative Officer, CBRE Group, Inc.
- John Dinning is now VP, AIaaS and High Performance Storage & Networking Solutions, Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company (HPE).
- Joseph Ferraro is now President and CEO, Avis Budget Group Inc.
- James Field, II is now Senior Advisor, Office of the Chairman, Deere & Company.
- Timothy Ford is now CEO, Treasury Wine Estates Limited.
- Richard Gonzalez is now Chairman and CEO, AbbVie Inc.
- Matthew Hamilton is now Partner, Troutman Pepper Hamilton Sanders LLP.
- Hisayuki Idekoba is now EVP and COO, Recruit Holdings Co., Ltd.
- Stephen Immelt is now Partner, Hogan Lovells.
- Michael Jackson is now Chairman and CEO, AutoNation, Inc.
- David Jordan is now President and CEO, First Horizon National Corporation.
- George Kellerman is now Head, Investments and Acquisitions, Toyota Research Institute - Advanced Development, Inc., Toyota Motor Corporation.
- Michael Kohlsdorf is now Founder, Operating Partner and President, Francisco Partners.
- Persio Lisboa is now President and CEO, Navistar International Corporation.
- Carl Lukach is now EVP, Corporate Development, Univar Solutions Inc.
- Tony McKenna is now Director, Information Technology, Howard Kennedy LLP.
- Peter Osvaldik is now CFO, T-Mobile US, Inc.
- Karen Peacock is now CEO, Intercom, Inc.
- Gerald Petkau is now SVP and COO, Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina, Blue Cross Blue Shield Association (BCBSA).
- Catherine Powell is now Head, Hostings, Airbnb, Inc.
- Chris Rivera is now President, Enterprise Business, Syniverse Technologies, LLC.
- Fidelma Russo is now SVP and General Manager, Cloud Services Business Unit, VMware, Inc.
- Frank St. John is now COO, Lockheed Martin Corporation.
- Takashi Shoji is now EVP, KDDI Corporation.
- John Stone is now President of Worldwide Construction & Forestry and Power Systems, Deere & Company.
- Steven Strah is now President, FirstEnergy Corp.